Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reader Asks: "You think I should check into those super lightweight five toe shoes? Or are they all gimick?"

Ever hit the gym after work, only to facepalm when you realize you forgot your sneakers at home? According to Christopher McDougall, author of "Born to Run," it's no problemo. He promotes barefoot running, touting the Tarahumara Indians as his case in point. The tribe escaped 16th century Spanish conquistadors by running away. And they've escaped present day health maladies by running too. With routine long-distance running an integral part of their lifestyle, they remain seemingly immune to the chronic disease rampant in the rest of the globe. No shoes required.

An article by Runner's World reports the consensus among proponents, podiatrists, and physicians. They acknowledge that modern man's foot and leg musculature has weakened because of too much time in shoes. But they emphasize that if there is something to minimalist running, it is not an overnight fix. It's foolhardy to expect your body to actualize the potential of worldclass runners in the time it takes to walk to the trash and toss the sneakers. Not to mention risk glass and rocks in your feet.

If you have your heart set on following the up-and-coming trend of barefoot running, a more sensible plan is to "walk barefoot around the house, do simple foot strengthening exercises, or run a few barefoot miles a week on safe, secure surfaces." Build up slowly. And if you're out of shape, I'd advise getting to a healthy BMI first, before making the switch.

Personally? I'll keep my shoes. Granted, I've not tried the craze myself, (no Vibram Five Fingers for me yet) so I can't speak from experience. What I do know is that according to the article in Runner's World, running legend, Abebe Bikila, won the 1960 Rome Olympic marathon's gold medal sans shoes in 2:15:17. BUT four years later, he laced up some Pumas to take the Tokyo Olympic marathon's gold medal in 2:12:11.2. Seems to me, it ain't the shoes (or lack thereof) that make the athlete.

For more on the advocacy of barefoot running, read runblogger.com’s “Guide To Minimalist Running.”

You can also check out this talk by Christopher McDougall (Psst - Why is Christopher wearing shoes on the promo pic for the video wherein he suggests we go sans?).
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment