Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I don't much care for the reality show "Keeping up with the Kardashian's" nor any of the spin-offs. I think the media grants Kim more spotlight than she deserves. But one thing I admire her for, is speaking on women's body image issues and being a healthy role model for women in that regard. So when I came across an article that was slamming Kim as someone needing to lose weight, and hoisting her up as a "case in point" for the obesity epidemic ... I had to leave a comment saying otherwise. Yes. I defended Kim Kardashian.

Do you agree or disagree? Do you think Kim is a healthy role model? Do you think she needs to lose weight?

Here's a link to the article. My response should be after it.

In the event that it's taken down or the link stops working, I'll copy/paste the article and my response.

Glittarazi.com's article:
Slowing America's rising obesity rates -- by as little as 1% -- would save our country $85 billion in health care costs over the next 20 years, according to an analysis revealed at the "Weight of the Nation" conference in Washington, D.C., this week.


In fact, people who suffer from obesity incur some of the highest health costs in the nation, and researchers believe that the number of obese people will rise from 5% now to about 11% by 2030.

So, how do we combat obesity healthily? Quit smoking, eat less fast food, and get more exercise. And, most importantly, get your children hooked on healthy habits! It's way easier to stay healthy when you've been taught how to by your role models.
We're talking to you, Kim K.

My response:
I'm not sure your targeting of Kim Kardashian as the ideal recipient for this "lose weight" message is a good call. Kim is Armenian American and naturally curvy. At 5'2", 117 pounds, her bmi is 21 which is well within the healthy range. In a world where 24 million Americans suffer from eating disorders and crippling body image issues (http://tinyurl.com/3cnwz77), she is a celebrity who is not afraid to go against the unrealistic rail-thin model images we see promoted in magazines. She's a healthy role model for girls and women alike. She even speaks out on body image issues and gives a voice to girls who might otherwise feel isolated and alone in their body insecurities (http://tinyurl.com/6nvurgh) Furthermore, she's often photographed leaving the gym (google image search "kim kardashian working out"), so not only does she champion a healthy figure, she leads by example in making exercise a priority. 


I applaud that the core message of this post acknowledges the need to focus on changing our behavior to promote well-being. Our nation does need to prioritize healthy habits. But I'd find a different person than Kim at whom to direct your healthy initiative message. She's already on board.

0 comments:

Post a Comment